Thursday, December 20, 2018

Dare Wright and The Lonely Doll Books


Greetings and Salutations Doll Friends!

I have a dear friend who became my friend before we either one really collected dolls in earnest... We met when our oldest kids were in kindergarten and they are both in their teens now, so you know, life long friends. Ironically enough, we both started collecting dolls after she moved away from my part of the country. She likes a bit different 'type' of dolls than I do, more antique composition types and Anna Lee's Dolls but I think all doll collectors, irregardless of which 'type' of doll they collect, share a sisterhood siblingdom (men collect dolls too!). We all know that bit of a thrill upon finding a brand new doll we've never seen before or adding one of our wish list dolls to our collection. 

So anyway, my dear friend is a member of a real life Doll Collectors Group that meets up and talks about all things doll... Doesn't that sound amazing? Apparently they have them all over the country! Who knew? It was in one of the groups meetings that my friend heard of a photographer/writer who illustrated a series of childrens books with doll photography?! 
What?! Who?! 


Dare Wright is the authors name and I knew immediately upon hearing about her that I'd like her... That was even before I went looking for her doll photos! I discovered that she wrote several books in a series called The Lonely Doll books. They are still/back in print even! I actually heard about them over a month ago and asked for one of her books for my birthday and got it. I went with the very first in the series of course but am sure I'll get others going forward because I adore them! 


There is a whole website about this fascinating woman... She had a very interesting life although it sounds rather lonely and sad. Perhaps her doll stories were, in some small way, about herself. 


So, I haven't decided if it will be one of my 'as-of-yet-unnamed' dolls or one I get in the future but I have decided that I am going to have to have a Dare Wright Doll living in the Doll House!
 How can I not? I mean, even her name is cool!


So... I'll link back to this post when I decide or discover which of my dolls will be Dare's doppelganger doll!


I highly recommend picking up these one or two of her cute books too... The stories are so much fun and photos are adorable! I think about how she had to take them with actual film and am even more impressed!! That means she didn't even get to look at photos to see if she caught her 'vision' until after she developed the film! Totally different times. 


Better run!
Have a great day!
XXOO
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment