Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Handmade 18inch Doll Fireplace Do It Yourself

A fireplace, I wanted one for my doll background that would be removable when it was folded up to be put away. So I got to thinking about it, carefully examining the one available on Etsy. Essentially they are a little wood arch with a fire looking item in middle. 


Luckily for me, I was half way there because I could steal my dear 
daughters Barbie fire pit as the fire part. 
 


Now... The wood part. I don't know if I've mentioned or not.but I am kind of all over the place with crafting but my main focus for last decade or so has been paper crafting with a focus on rubber stamps. The reason I bring all this up is because it is how I happen to have, on hand, the wood I used to make my fireplace. If I'd have ordered the wood shapes specifically for this project, it would've bed easier and more cohesive. I kind of just pieced it together from the ones I had on hand. I liked the way the rubber stamp handles looked like wood molding and made it look more realistic. Here it is all pieced together from wood.
I glued them together with wood glue and added the craft sticks in a decorative pattern on front to disguise fact that the wood on both sides was two pieces. 
I glued it all together on flat surface with mat underneath I don't care if I ruin. Then I let it sit for about 36hours. The wood shapes I used are handles for wooden mount rubber stamps along with wood Popsicle sticks for embellishment. All held together with wood glue, the top portion velcro's on to a wood cutting board I had gotten as gift but never used.  

The way I got the Barbie fire pit to light up was by putting a light like this back behind it against the back wall of fireplace. The ones with orange on them even glow orange! Perfect! 

I put two heavy duty bits of Velcro on the wall behind it to hold it up well and Velcro on its 'feet' so it would stay in the right place on the cutting board. All in all I am pretty happy with how it came out. I still plan to stain it or perhaps spray paint it all stark black but for now I think it looks pretty sweet. Here is a link to where you can get wood. 

http://www.vlvstamps.com/other-goodies/wood.html

They sell nearly every size imaginable so just figure how talk you want your fireplace and order accordingly. Mind would've probably been a touch taller but I just worked with what I had on hand. 


Warm fire! 

Thanks for visiting! Stop by again!!


No comments:

Post a Comment