Thursday, February 9, 2017

Thelma Resch Vinyl Doll Kit Custom 18 Inch Boy Doll

Greetings and Salutations Doll Friends!

"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free."
 Michelangelo

This has always been a favorite quote of mine... I just imagine the sculptor seeing a beautiful block of marble and seeing the statue inside of it in his minds eye. Just such a visual quote if that make sense. So lately, as I've become more and more invested in my hobby, that quote often comes into my head when I am out and about browsing at second hand shoppes. I tend to look for 'ideas' as much as items... Sometimes a totally 'non-doll-in-any-way' kind of item can lend itself to the Doll House if you keep your mind open to it. Mostly I kind of repeat 'doll size, doll size..?" in my head as I browse. To be honest, I do actually look for a few things other than doll items at thrifty shoppes, my daughter has her own interests and I look for her things too but that is honestly a help because it helps me focus on 'everything'. Which is important at such places... There can be a whole aisle of what feels and looks like total junk until you zero in on that one thing you didn't even know you were looking for until.......


You see it... A little boy doll sitting there on the shelf with the cutest face sculpt....! Sitting on a shelf that says "Anything on shelf $5.00" and you snatch him up to take him home.


Only when you first see 'him' he looks like this. 


A bit too tall and a bit hunchbacked and a bit too 'baby'.... The gown the doll was wearing was beautifully made with smocking and embroidery on the undergown. Just lovely but really wrong for a little boy, eh?


Helped my husband see 'him' when I took off the wig and nightcap.... He even said "Off with his head!!" as a joke because he has witnessed me do many body transplants and doll makeovers by this point. 


It was handy that the original owner didn't bother to glue down the wig. I found the name Thelma Resch engraved on the back of the head. So I researched it and found out that she is a famous doll sculptor who ususally, from what I understand, makes 'lady' dolls out of porcelain  for the most part. However, it appears she made a Playhouse Vinyl Doll Kit  in the early 1990's. The kit came with a vinyl doll head, hands and legs/feet and you're meant to have sewn the body portion of the doll. It looks like there was a blue eyed Barbara and a brown eyed Peggy kit released. So apparently, the doll I found must've come from a Peggy kit. Having the doll originally come as a kit made me feel perfectly ok with doing a customization on it... I think of it as an upgrade!  


So, following the process I've shown you before in my other body transplants I changed out the doll's head with a spare Our Generation Doll body I had at the house. (I am beginning to keep a spare parts box. Is that creepy?) I think he came out perfectly! Just as I saw him in my minds eye when I first saw him at the store. 


The only problem, if there is one, is that his face is really pale... So the OG body is the tiniest bit too 'tan' for him... But as you can see, I dressed him in a long sleeve tshirt and I don't think you can tell much at all. What do you think? I know I didn't really 'need' a new boy doll but I am telling you, sometimes they just find me and follow me home! Hahaha. Kidding! But just look at him! How could I not? 

Better run!
Till Next Time!
XXOO
Heather



No comments:

Post a Comment