Monday, February 2, 2015

The 98c American Girl Doll 'Full Length Mirror' Upcycle Project


Greetings and Salutations!

As you might've read in my prior post, I've allowed myself to begin to look around with 'doll eyes' when I am out thrifting. I live pretty close by to several fantastic thrift stores and so I stop into one a couple times a week usually when I am out on errands. I don't eat fast food and so I reward myself with the amount it would cost to eat a meal deal at drive through, eat PB&J and am healthier for it. Ha! Justification much? Anyway, on with the story... The other day I am in the thrift shop and I don't know if you remember but in the late 80s and early 90s every house had these little wall candle holders with the mirror. I remember, I and them too! So now at thrift stores they are a dime a dozen! Or, well, usually they are about a $1 to $2 each but still, cheap. So I saw them sitting there and I thought "Can I use them for the dolls?" And immediately this little project came to mind. Wasn't sure exactly how I was going to get it to work but I plunked down my 98c (plus tax) on the counter, grabbed my mirror and headed for home and the bottle of wood glue.


First think I did was take the candle holder part off. It appears they stained it after they screwed together when they made it so its got a bit of an ugly but on front. Hmmm... What to do? As you may have read in prior posts, I have been a crafter a long time and have bits and bobs from all manner of craft at my little creation corner! So I dug in my stash of stuff and got out the wood shapes. Found the these cute little ladies in the bag and thought they were perfect! 




Next I had to figure out how to get it to stand up. I knew I wanted to use the candle part of the original item as part of stand at least and my first idea was to turn candle holder upside down and Velcro it on in a bit of a lower case h shape. But it was wibbly. So I scrapped that idea and moved the Velcro down on the mirror to the very bottom then the candle holder bit was a great stand!



When the glue dried I could still see the damaged wood where the candle had been hooked on. I puzzled what to do because now the ladies were stuck on there too. So I dug through my embellishments in my scrapbook supplies and found these two embellishments from some set or other? Use what you find! It's all part of the fun, coming up with your own design. They sell all manner of wood shapes and you could paint them too but I just love the natural wood look. (Also I am too lazy to paint) 



So the back was ugly because they wrote the prices on in China marker which is cool on plates but almost impossible to get off cardboard. What to do? I used a mailing label (blank) larger than the written prices and covered them up. Then I used some large butterfly stickers to embellish the back of mirror. 


The candle holder part comes off really easily. That one screw is all I had to undo.



I try to design all my doll stuff so it's as easy to pack away as possible because you have to store it too! So I am showing how it folds down flat with the 'leg' stored in the mirror when not being played with.

Trying it out with the dolls! It's a tiny bit short but I know that a lot of 'full length' mirrors in the non doll world are not really tall either but they work just fine. So... For 98c (plus tax!) I got a little bedroom assesory for the dolls! 


Here it is next to bed. (which I made from a shoe rack, see prior post) 

Have a great day! Thanks for stopping by! 











No comments:

Post a Comment